Read This First

My photo
St. Louis, Missouri
I'm not grumpy all the time, just enough for people to think I am. I'm an almost frum, liberal, conservadox Jew who davens with Chabad. I love movies, music, chinese food, and working out. I'm training for a marathon and trying to quit smoking at the same time. Oh yeah, and on most days, I really hate my job.

Monday, September 22, 2008

Thought For The New Year

I have a JDate related post I'm working on for later, but for now.....

With Rosh Hashana coming up, I thought it would be cool if we all took ownership of a single mitzvah. By take ownership of, I mean, find a mitzvah that you really connect with and spend the year trying to perfect your practice of it. Make this mitzvah something that people know you by. For me, I've taken tzitzis as my own. Every time a friend tells somebody that doesn't know me something about me, it's always the same thing "you know, the really tall skinny guy with the tzitzis down to his knees?". "Oh yeah, I know who your talking about now..."

I'm not saying that I'm the only one who wears them in all of St. Louis, but outside of Kohn's Deli and U-City, it's kind of a rare sight.

But anyway, like I said, make this year about perfecting something that really speaks to you, be it tefillin, tzitzis, reading the Torah portion, making minyan, whatever it is that you think defines you as a person.

Oh, and last night, I swam 5k and weighed in at 215. Another swim tonight and tomorrow is running.

No comments: